Thursday, April 4, 2013

"Yes, I will play with you"

Why am I posting a picture of a half finished load of laundry? Well, this post is meant to serve as a reminder that no matter how badly I need to do something, spending time with my little ones is way more important. Yes they need to learn to use their imaginations, yes they need to have quiet time while mama gets things done in order for the household to run...but more importantly they need to see what it looks like to be selfless and pay attention to others' needs above your own. The laundry will be there in 15 minutes after I play with my blessings. But if I continually tell them to wait while I finish my laundry list of things to do (which could go on forever), what message do I send them? I want him to know that like our loving FAther, I will listen to him when he comes to me and not always put him second. There is, of course, a balance between this and catering to their every need which hinders their independence. For me, I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me today. So I dropped what I was doing and played with him for a few minutes hopefully demonstrating that when someone asks you to play (like maybe his baby sister), although you want to keep on playing your way, it is kind and loving to play with them. I can tell him that until I'm blue in the face, but if I don't live it...he won't ever get it.

No comments: