Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Bible Verses

Roman has been struggling with mean words and anger.  I imagine it is very typical of a 2yr old who is trying to express his feelings and opinions.  So, in my attempt to raise him in a Godly way, I got this idea from a friend of mine, Mrs. Jamison, who is also Roman's music teacher.  We both go to BSF and one of the handout sheets included many verses that detail the desired behavior we want from our children such as Love, Kindness etc.  I loved the verses, but then I got to thinking about other issues that we are working on in our house such as Anger and Unwholesome Talk.  So, I searched my Bible and found some great verses that Roman could understand.  Then, for an added educational perk, I wrote the letters on the back of the card.  He knows all his capital letters and about 75% of his lower case letters.  So this should help reinforce his knowledge of the alphabet!  Then to make them durable, I laminated them.  So we can continue to use them for when Brooklyn enters this lovely stage of toddlerhood.

The idea is simple.  I picked out the verses with traits that we are emphasizing/working on.  Made the cards, then sat down with Roman and explained that I was reading the Bible and I found what God says about how we should live.  I only read him a couple of verses, then showed him the letters on then back.  After showing him the cards, he asked to play with a motorcycle that always makes him frustrated/angry and he often gets the toy taken away because he throws it or starts to throw a tantrum.  So instead of saying "no" to him I simply read the verse about controlling his temper and not getting angry.  I told him that God doesn't want him to have a temper when he's playing with the motorcycle.  Even though he's only 2.5yrs, he totally got it!  After a few minutes of playing with it, he was quiet.  Then he turned to me and he said that he listened to God and didn't get angry when the motorcycle didn't work.  Wow!  I'm very thankful for the best parenting book ever written...The Bible!

No comments: