Wednesday, September 3, 2008

17 weeks already!

So yesterday we were officially 17 weeks! That means were in the 18th week which is very exciting. The baby should be starting to move around more and I should be able to feel "quickening" soon. So far the pregnancy has had it's adventures. Here's what's been happening.

I've noticed that acne comes in cycles...interesting to see the connection. Recently just as the acne was calming down on neck, my IBS acted up pretty severely. The Lord is definitely preparing me for childbirth, labor and being a mom because during IBS I get severe pain, sleepless nights, and of course fatigue. I'm not complaining though. Seriously, this would be a perfect opportunity to say "why me?!!!" But honestly, I've been appreciative of the pain tolerance I'm building up and the strength that I'm finding from God. Sure, it's frustrating when you can't move, eat, or stray far from the toilet or have to take baths every 3 hours (for only 10 minutes cuz you can't raise your body temperature too high). But it goes away and I continuously praised Him for never leaving my side. Chad has been a HUGE support too, he rubs my back and stays by my side as well. Maybe God's preparing him also for when he sees me in labor.

I'm also in the middle of what might be an interesting discovery. I might be developing a gluten/wheat intolerance. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't able to eat anything for 3 days without it horribly reacting to my stomach. Then I tried some gluten free products and I could tolerate them! There's a pizza place that offers a whole gluten free menu (pizza, wings, etc.) Now, I'm still doing research and I'm in the process of determining whether the gluten intolerance only occurs during IBS or if it's a pregnancy related thing. Who knows. It was nice to know that my midwife's assistant, Allison, has IBS also and had to regulate her gluten intake.

Now my IBS is starting to feel better and showing signs of relief! Praise God! Then, I noticed a couple days ago that I've developed a rash on my sides of my body. Of course my midwife, Sue, is having me keep a close eye on it although I suspect it's my body's way of getting rid of something. Hormones can do wonderful things to a woman's body, but it's all worth it to have a gift from God growing inside of me!

So all in all, pregnancy is a beautiful thing. I've memorized Psalm 23 and have been reciting it daily. Although I'm not in the valley of the shadow of death....there were times when it hurt more than I've ever experienced. It's funny what verses you find that comfort you in crazy times.

I'll keep you all posted when I feel any "quickening"

1 comment:

Eunice said...

17 weeks already?! We need to have lunch sometime. I want to see your baby belly.